Thanks Knowspam, for making email fun again - $20 got me 10,000 less emails since mid-August! What's in your mailbox?
(Due to little Blogger glitch this was late in posting - originally 1/22/04)
Plan to improve the entire world
Give everyone on Earth some stirred custard on a regular basis.
Yup, that's all it would take. A bowl of stirred custard, say once a week, with the possibility of seconds and the occasional poached meringue as a bonus, and you have a world full of happy happy people.
I detect a note of skepticism on the other side of the monitor but I would suggest that you just try a bowlful yourself and see if you don't agree. Oh, you need a good recipe? That we can help you with right here. From my family cooking album - Floating Islands:
For the islands:
- 4 eggs or 3 eggs and 2 yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp flour (I would consider this optional myself - there's no way you need the flour)
- 2 1/2 cup scalded milk
- dash salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine eggs, sugar and flour together until well mixed. Add milk gradually (note - it must NOT be hot - you'll scramble the eggs) Cook in double boiler over hot but not boiling water, stirring constantly until custard coats a spoon. Serve warm.
Enjoy! PS It's ok to double this recipe. Seconds for everybody!
- 2 egg whites (use the ones from the custard)
- 4 TB sugar
- dash salt
- Beat egg whites until soft peak stage. Add the sugar very gradually beating after each addition. Add salt Beat until stiff.
- Form the islands by dropping a large spoonful of egg white into large frying pan with scalded milk in it. Poach for several minutes until dry and firm. Place on top of bowl of custard.