Today I puttered around mainly. Looked at the top to ponder possible changes. Began pinning the pieces down in preparation for sewing. My plan is to do a little sewing just to the top and then to applique it down once it's layered. This should minimize the amount of pinning of pieces and let me just do normal pinbasting. That's my theory, anyway! :-)
Tonight, in a fit of something.... I sorted all my solid fabrics into rough color families. That's generally a "between projects" activity. I'm looking at an autumn photo and thinking about how to possibly piece the background.....we'll see.
Oh and one more grant-related thing I did today--I ordered a case of battings, some solid fabrics and 15 large spools of thread for quilting. Phew. There, I did accomplish something!
Posted at 1:03 AM
I've done some more work to this quilt and there are new photos. Non-digital, scanned photos, but photos nonetheless.
I think I'm going in the right direction because when I pulled the photos out of the envelope after picking them up, Ron thought they were more real tree photos.
Comments? Sign the guestbook please!
Winter Quilt in Progress
Posted at 3:38 PM
Set up a new design wall in my sewing room to help lay out this winter quilt. It's made from 3/4" foam insulation board. Nice and pink and easy to pin into, which was the whole purpose. Four sections so it's 4 feet x 8 feet.
The background fabric of this quilt is plain white pima cotton. I've added a number of trees and shadows similar to my very sketchy sketch, and am pleased with it. there are some plain white spaces which will have lots of quilting.
I decided to "float the border" -- this means that there will be a bit of white all around the outer edge of the quilt, as if the pieced border were "floating" above the whole top. I think this will be a nice effect and will give me a little leeway in getting a particular size quilt when it's done.
Posted at 1:39 AM